Nailon Nail Lacquer (Ciclopirox)
What is Ciclopirox?
Ciclopirox nail lacquer is an Antifungal medication, usually sold as a topical solution, cream, or gel. It inhibits the growth of fungus. Nailon Nail Lacquer is primarily used to treat fungal skin infections of the toenails and fingernails such as athletes?s foot, jock itch, ringworm, and yeast infections. Cicloporix is sold under various trade names, some of which are PNailon Nail Lacquer and Nailon (made by Cipla)
Ciclopirox nail lacquer is used against seborrheic dermatitis in the scalp. Apart from the uses mentioned here, this medication may also be prescribed for other skin conditionsa
Important Information about Cicloporix
• Do not use Ciclopirox nail lacquern (Penlac Nail Lacquer, Nailon) if you are allergic to it. Avoid any contact of this medication with your eyes, nose, or mouth. If Cicloporix does get into your eyes, nose, or mouth, rinse thoroughly with water.
• Do not use occlusive dressing (air tight dressing) or any kind of bandage or dressing on areas treated with nailon nail lacquer unless or otherwise directed by your doctor. Loose fitting clothes are recommended.
• You must continue using Ciclopirox nail lacquer for the prescribed length of time even after your symptoms have subsided before time but your infection might not be cleared completely. Stopping or skipping doses may deteriorate your condition for the worse.
• Cicloporix topical is a FDA category B drug meaning it is not expected to harm an unborn baby if used while being pregnant. It is also no known if it can pass into breast milk and harm a nursing baby. Ask your doctor for safe usage of nailon nail lacquer if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breast feeding.
Before using Cicloporix
Before using Cicloporix (Penlac Nail Lacquer, Nailon), make sure to discuss about all the points and precautions mentioned above. Ask your doctor if it is safe to use Cicloporix on top of some other conditions which you may be suffering from.
How should I use Cicloporix?
• You should take Ciclopirox nail lacquer (Penlac Nail Lacquer, Nailon) exactly as directed by your doctor. All medications come with a patient leaflet with complete instructions and details. Refer it for any doubts. Do not alter the course of the medication in any way (do not take more or less than the prescribed dosage). Also do not take it after the period for which the medication was prescribed is over.
• Apply Cicloporix medication once daily preferably at bedtime to all affected nails with applicator brush provided just like nail polish. Follow your doctor?s instructions or the instructions on the medical label. Let the medication dry before putting on socks or stocking. After applying Ciclopirox nail lacquer, wait for atleast 8 hours before taking a shower. Remove the dried medication using alcohol once a week. Remove as much as possible of the damaged nail using clippers or a nail file.
• It may take several months of applying Ciclopirox nail lacquer before any visible improvement of your conditions can be seen. It may take almost a year of daily application, monthly removal of infected nail by a healthcare professional, and weekly trimming by patient.
• Store Ciclopirox nail lacquer in a cool and dry place. It is highly inflammable so avoid taking this medication near a flame.
What if I miss a dose?
If you forget to take a dose of Ciclopirox nail lacquer for some reasons, take it as soon as you remember it. However, skip the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up or near. Do not take two doses closer to each other to make up for the missed dose.
What if I overdose?
In case of an overdose of nailon nail lacquer, get urgent medical attention or call the Doctor immediately although an overdose is not expected cause any serious conditions.
What should I avoid while using Cicloporix?
Do not use other medications on the areas treated with Cicloporix unless or otherwise advised. Also avoid using nail polish, artificial nails, or other cosmetic nail products while using Ciclopirox nail lacquer. Tight fitting clothing or something which doesn?t allow proper air flow on the affected area shouldn?t be used. Loose fitting clothes preferably cotton are advised.
Side Effects due to Cicloporix
• Breathing difficulty,
• Swelling (face, Nose, Mouth, or Throat)
Cicloporix Dosing Information
Ciclopirox nail lacquer dosage for you will be decided by your doctor after examining you thoroughly. Dosage may depend on several factors like age, seriousness of the conditions, other conditions, and allergies among several others.
Interaction with other drugs
It is not likely that other drugs will interact with topically applied nailon nail lacquer. However, some other topical medications may interact with Cicloporix when applied simultaneously. You should inform your doctor in advance about all present medications you may be using. Never start a new medication without proper medical attention and advice.