Hydrocortisone (A Ret HC Cream) topical is used to treat mild to moderate inflammatory skin disorders such as eczema (itchy, oozing, and crusting skin rash), contact dermatitis (itchy, oozing, and crusting skin rash after contact with certain plants, cosmetics, irritants like detergents), insect bite reactions or psoriasis (a skin condition associated with red, raised, itchy and scaly patches).
A Ret HC Cream is used to gradually lighten the skin that has become dark or skin that has developed dark patches due to many skin problems. These include melasma-skin darkening due to exposure to sunlight especially in women using oral contraceptives (birth control pills), during pregnancy, or on hormone replacement therapy during menopause (hormonal drugs to replace deficient hormones in the body), freckles (clusters of dark spots on cheeks, nose, arms, and upper shoulders that start appearing at a very young age) and solar lentigines (also called ?age spots? are brown or black spots on the face, hands, shoulders and arms-areas that get exposed to sun light).
A Ret HC Cream is topically used to treat acne (pimples), rough texture of facial skin, reduce the appearance of fine wrinkles and mottled skin discoloration.
How it works?
- Hydroquinone / Tretinoin / Hydrocortisone belongs to the class of medications called as corticost***ds. It works by preventing release of certain chemicals from the immune cells responsible for causing dryness, itching, oozing, and crusting of skin, thereby relieving the swelling and irritation associated with various skin disorders.
- A Ret HC Cream bleaches the skin by reducing the accumulation of skin pigment called melanin that causes darkening of skin. It interferes with the synthesis of melanin and hampers important processes within cells that produce melanin (melanocytes). The bleaching effect of hydroquinone is reversible (reversible depigmentation).
- Hydroquinone / Tretinoin / Hydrocortisone is a form of vitamin A and belongs to a group of medications called as retinoids. It helps the skin to renew itself (causing peeling) and prevents skin inflammation.
Common side effects
- Allergy, Skin thinning, Itchy with dry and/or cracked skin, Striae, Mild burning, Changes in skin colour, Acne, Worsening of the condition that is being treated
- Itchy, Inflamed skin may occur occasionally. discontinue use and contact your doctor immediately,
- Mild to moderate irritation, Sore, Allergic skin reaction-re
- Darkening of skin, Red skin with scaling and thickened itchy skin, Application site reaction and skin tenderness.blistering or oozing in the place of application, Allergic reaction like swelling of face, Facial redness and feeling of warmth
- Exercise caution if you are an elderly patient, or undergoing extended Hydroquinone / Tretinoin / Hydrocortisone therapy or if you have heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure and recurrent fits.
- Do not apply plasters or dressings over the cream unless suggested by your doctor.
- Avoid direct contact on the face, near your eyes and mouth, anal or genital areas or any other body parts with skin folds or thin skin. In case of direct contact of this medication with the eyes, nose, mouth, anal or vaginal area, immediately rinse with water.
- Consult your doctor before using in children <10 years. > Do not use A Ret HC Cream topical for a duration more than 7 days unless prescribed by your doctor.
- Do consult your doctor, if the skin condition does not improve after application at prescribed dose and duration.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not use if you are allergic to hydrocortisone or any of its ingredients.
- Do not use if you have acne or infected or broken skin.
- Do not use if you are suffering from bacterial infection such as impetigo (red sores on the face), viral infections such as cold sores or fungal infections such as athlete?s foot.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Is hydrocortisone topical safe during pregnancy?
A: Hydrocortisone topical should only be used if the potential benefits justify the potential risk to the baby. Please follow your doctor?s advice regarding its use.
Q: Is it safe to use hydrocortisone topical during breastfeeding?
A: Hydrocortisone topical should only be used if the potential benefits justify the potential risk to the infant. Please follow your doctor?s advice regarding its use.
Q: Is hydrocortisone topical safe?
A: Hydrocortisone topical is safe when used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor.
Q: Is hydrocortisone topical good for ringworm, cold sores, haemorrhoids, scars or burns?
A: No. Hydrocortisone topical is contraindicated in any condition where the skin is infected or inflamed or has an open wound.
Q: Does hydrocortisone topical help in eczema, acne, hives, dry skin and thrush?
A: Hydrocortisone topical relieves the itching associated with eczema and local swelling and itching associated with hives. It should not be used in acne, dry skin and thrush.
Q: Is hydroquinone safe/good for skin?
A: Yes. Hydroquinone is used to bleach dark patches of skin. It is available as creams to be applied externally and is safe if used as directed, for the prescribed duration by your doctor. Occasionally it may cause side effects-red, sore, itchy, inflamed skin indicating an allergic reaction. Please contact your doctor immediately if you notice any such skin reactions.
Q: Is hydroquinone safe to use on face?
A: Yes.Hydroquinone is used to bleach dark patches of skin and can be used on the face. It is available as creams to be applied externally and is safe if used as directed for the prescribed duration by your doctor. Please limit sun exposures and apply sunscreens or cover the treated area with protective clothing. Even minimal exposure to sun can reverse the bleaching effect of hydroquinone.
Q: Is hydroquinone banned in India?
A: No.Hydroquinone is available and is not a banned drug in India.
Q: Is hydroquinone toxic?
A: No. Hydroquinone is not toxic if used as directed, for the prescribed duration by your doctor. It is available as creams and meant for external use on the skin only
Q: Does hydroquinone lighten/bleach your skin? Does hydroquinone lighten skin permanently?
A: Hydroquinone bleaches/lightens dark patches of skin. It reduces the accumulation of skin pigment called melanin that causes darkening of skin. This effect of hydroquinone is reversible (reversible depigmentation) with time and exposure to sun and therefore not permanent.
Q: Does hydroquinone bleach clothes?
A: No. Hydroquinone has no known effect on bleaching clothes.
Q: Does hydroquinone make skin darker?
A: Hydroquinone may cause blue-black darkening of skin. This is not the normal effect of hydroquinone. Discontinue use and contact your doctor immediately if you notice darkening of skin upon use of hydroquinone.
Q: Does hydroquinone help acne?
A: No. Hydroquinone is used to bleach or lighten dark patches of skin. It has no known effect in the treatment of acne.
Q: Does hydroquinone cause redness?
A: Occasionally hydroquinone may cause side effects ? redness of skin, sore, itchy, inflamed skin indicating an allergic reaction. Please contact your doctor immediately if you notice any such skin reactions.
Q: Is tretinoin topical safe during pregnancy?
A: Tretioin topical should only be used if the potential benefits justify the potential risk to the baby. Please follow your doctor?s advice regarding its use.
Q: Is it safe to use tretinoin during breastfeeding?
A: Tretioin topical should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant. Please follow your doctor?s advice regarding its use.
Q: Is tretinoin topical a st***id/ retin a/ retin a/ a retinoid/retinol?
A: Tretinoin topical is not a st***id. It is a form of vitamin A (Retin-A) and belongs to a group of medications called as ?retinoids?. Tretinoin and retinol are similar but tretinoin tends to be a bit more aggressive than retinol which is a bit more suitable for those with sensitive skin.
Q: Is tretinoin cream safe?
A: Tretinoin is safe if taken at recommended doses and duration. The gel form should be used with extreme caution in children younger than 12 years.
Q: Does tretinoin cream work/ is tretinoin cream good for acne/acne scars/lighten skin/thin the skin/work on wrinkles/fade dark spots/clog pores/cause breakouts?
A: Tretinoin cream works effectively in most of the patients. It is useful for treating most of the skin related issue like acne, acne scars, skin lightening, removing wrinkles, fade dark spots, clog pores, etc. It does not cause breakouts but helps the skin in healing it.
Q: Is tretinoin available over the counter?
A: It is available only as per doctor?s prescription.